Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Death of Robin Hood


A note for those concerned about health care. I have heard that there are some serious concerns and horror stories out there in light of the changes from our government health care. I don't believe people are exaggerating and that I worry about some of the struggles people will face with this system. I can only speak for my family but here is a personal experience we are facing.

As a minister I have had to pay for my own insurance, even though it comes off my salary. I have had Regence Blue Cross for 25+ years. I have been happy with them and felt that they were financially comparable to other companies. Every year since I turned 45, the premiums have increased. I have had to read a difficult packet of info and navigate a web of numbers, percentages, and what they don't cover to find what works best for us.When I finally call for help, I have been given help--although I am not sure what is being covered. Yes, I am frustrated that they would pay for my rehab, if I started using narcotics, but not for my and my family's dental care--even though I brush my teeth twice per day. All in all I have been happy. Funny thing is that we have always been a healthy family and had few visits to the doctor every year. I did feel we were paying a lot of money, "Just in case."

This past month we were notified that our premium's would again rise, and this time much more than the past.

Nathan Rix, one of our Agape folks who works for the State Government explained how Cover Oregon will work. I looked at the site and within a half an hour was able to navigate the site, ask questions, and find out about the providers that will be offering care. When all is said and done our insurance premium will be 55% less than we are paying now, and our boys will be on the Healthy Kids (OHP) program. We qualify that much for government reimbursement. Lori and I will probably have better insurance than we have had in the past and also may have dental care. The boys will also have quality care. 

I know that things are not finalized and there are a few things we will have to wait for, in order to have this completed, but I feel very optimistic about what changes are being made by the health care system. I can't speak for everyone, and know that there are some stories that are not as positive--but for this Oregon resident who has worked hard, paid taxes, and tried to help those who are in need--I would say Long Live Oregonians!
Unlike ·  ·  · 8 hours ago near Portland, OR, United States · 

  • You and 14 others like this.
  • Rachel Forehand Hanson I am glad to hear that it is working out for you. I have a question: Did they waive the "two months with no insurance before your kids qualify for Healthy Kids" thing? The last time I tried to put my kids on OHK (because our insurance was going up and we couldn't afford it), they told me that the kids had to have been without insurance for 2 months before I could even apply for it.
  • Ron Clark I understand from them that they would have to take them without a wait. Supposedly if you qualify for their assistance your kids automatically qualify for OHP. Fortunately, those of us in ministry should have no problem qualifying for any help.
  • Rachel Forehand Hanson That's good to know. It was a big worry for me. Are you going to get to keep your current doctors? We've had Regence Blue Cross since we moved here 10 years ago, and really love our OHSU doctors.
  • Ron Clark Don't know, all the insurance companies haven't chimed in to the system. We will talk to our doctors if they are in the system but the hardest part may be finding a different physician. Nathan Rix tells us that once this takes affect the other insurance companies will have to drop their costs to compete or will have to get with the government system. He indicated that Oregon is one of the few states to be prepared for this and is being used as a model nationally. Probably due to Kitzhaber's experience as both a politician and medical doctor. Anyway--Cover Oregon is still working out the kinks and plans to have the full information the end of October, but they claim that the premiums will be about the same, no drastic changes.
    7 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Jaynee Cathey I have hesitated to say anything because I do not want the backlash, before Oct 1, I was uninsurable because of my Lupus and other conditions. I was notified that because of the new laws, I will qualify for an insurance plan that includes dental...just like you and Lori, and my premiums are very doable.
    7 hours ago via mobile · Like · 4
  • Laura Campbell It is good to hear the positive stories... too many of my FB friends are into reposting things that turn out to be out and out lies. Like you, I am sure there are people out there who are being affected negatively by this, but all the fear-mongering is really a turn-off to me!
    7 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Ron Clark Thanks Kelsey T-c, former Agape member with her husband Russell, and med student in Orlando for this simplified version that they use to educate people about the new system.
    7 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Ron Clark http://www.upworthy.com/...

    www.upworthy.com
    Need Obamacare explained to you? There's an Obamacartoon that does just that.
    7 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Nathan Rix I'll see if I can dig up some sources for y'all when I get home. Obamacare is good, but there needs to be additional regulation to address the rising cost of healthcare and patent monopolies which undergird a big part of the problem (this is why projections of the national debt are high). Much love to y'all.
    5 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2
  • Joey Arnold People should have the freedom to choose what kind of health care they get. People should never be forced into doing certain things. People should not be punished for not doing certain things. We should not be punished for making more money than others. Businesses should not be punished for expanding. Sometimes, businesses can provide health-care for their employees, that as long as they are not being punished too severely, as in taxed or other like regulations.
  • Joey Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment