Saturday, April 27, 2013

Accumulation


Missing an Arm

By Joey Arnold
The Original Oatmeal
28th of April, 2013



My arm fell off in the storm, as I was moving from Bac Ninh, Vietnam (which is 20 km from Hanoi) to Saigon around the 10th of February of 2013. I am much more useless without arms.


Since I was 8 years old, I've wanted to travel the world as a missionary to the poor. I wanted to be a male version of Mother Teresa  I also wanted to be the European version of Michael Jackson. I have always wanted to bring cheer and excitement to others. I was born and raised in the United States. I was born partly deaf. I started learning incorrectly because I was not able to talk efficiently enough.

When I was 7 years old, after taking a state required test, doctors and teachers concluded from the test results that I'd never pass the 6th grade and that I was clearly mentally retarded.

However, my mother believed in me. She taught me at home. This is what we call “Home School.” I had hearing tubes placed in my ears when I was about 1 years old or younger. I started wearing glasses when I was 1 years old as well. It was very hard to understand me at first because I was talking my own way, since I could not hear much. When I was 4 years old, my siblings (brother and sister) laughed, “He is so an alien or at least adopted.”

I started drawing and singing soundtracks since I was 2 years old. I started learning math when I was 5 years old. I started learning how to read and write when I was 7 years old. When I was 10 years old, at a Summer Basketball Camp at the near-by high school, a coach asked me what my name was. I could barely get a whisper out. I tried saying that my name is “Joey.” They stirred back, “Jerry?” They heard me wrong because I was so shy.

My father bought me and my older brother a camcorder when I was 10 years old. I immediately brought out my 20-page film-script for the Power Rangers Kids movie that I was planning for the last few years. I was the head writer, director, cameraman, producer, actor, main movie star, costume designer, editor, manager. We made this hour long film in only 5 days. Since then, I've made hundreds of videos and a few movies.

Since I was 2 years old, I have been drawing. Since I was 8 years old, I have been writing stories and comics and songs. That means I am also a song writer and a dancer. When I was 7 years old, I won a dancing contest on Easter day in my own neighborhood in front of taller hotter girls and older guys. This is who I am. I am all about inspiration. When I was 15 years old, I started drawing cute little cartoon pictures of my friends. I was trying to compete with the ever popular Pokemon Cards and Yu-Gi-Oh Cards. I made funny beautiful pictures of people. I would make them say things like a comic. I would write stories and poems and songs for my friends. People started loving them so much that everybody began asking me to make them some. I started calling them Encouragement Articles (Eas).

When I first started going to public high school when I was 15 years old, people would ask me what was up and I told them that the ceiling was. As I grew older and taller, I became less shy. I started taking art classes. I also enjoyed playing basketball since I was 7 years old. I started taking drama classes because I love making movies. I started taking writing classes. In college, I was studying web design and keyboard typing. In high school, I started going to school dances to dance with the ladies, and yet I was too much of a gentleman to have a girl friend. I turned 28 years old on the 11th of February of 2013. I am single and not married. I do not have a girl friend. I am a friend to all. I love making people laugh.

For 5 summers and 2 winters, I hiked and climbed and had wonderful adventures as a counselor for children and teens at camps in New York, Oregon, and California. M life has been filled with bumps and bruises like a roller coaster. I am cruising through storms in a ship in the ocean of huge waves. Life is full of twists and turns, but please hang on for the ride of your life.

I came to Hanoi, Vietnam, on a Thursday, the 29th of November of 2012 because the New Star English Center in Bac Ninh, Vietnam asked me to teach English. After 5 days and 40 hours of teaching English to children who did in fact loved me, the school emailed me saying they thought I only knew a little English, that people hate me, and that I was in fact only a tutor and not an actual teacher. I was fired and never paid for my work. I did not have enough money to fly back to the United States where I was born and raised at, since I am a white American whom ancestors are from Holland, England, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, etc. All my ancestors are only from European countries as far I can tell and no other continents.

I was fired but the owner of the Papa Foods restaurant, Andy Nguyen, saved my life. Allowed me to sleep on the floor of the restaurant as long as I washed dishes, mopped floors, watched bikes, and helped out. Whenever I was not working, I would go online (on my laptop) in search of a new job. But I was not able to find a job.

I was getting scared because I was running out of money and my 3 months multiple-entry Vietnam Tourist Visa was going to expire on the Friday of the 22nd of February of 2013. I was in a hurry to find a job. After looking all over in Bac Ninh, Hanoi, and even Hoa Binh, I ventured off to Ho Chi Minh (HCM) on the Sunday of the 10th of February of 2013.

I was off in Saigon with just 1 suitcase and my backpack. I now work at a different New Star English Center in the Tan Phu District and for the Tan Van Foreign Language School at kindergarten and elementary schools at the different districts in Saigon, Vietnam.

Sadly, I left my 2nd suitcase at Papa Foods. In it is my collection of home videos, articles, stories, songs, drawings, and other things that mean the world to me. At the moment, I am not sure I can get them back or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment