Wednesday, July 10, 2013

clean


Tom ChristiePrivate_message
Also if you can't speak English and you want to get a message across then write viet! please don't translate as translating viet to english doesnt make sense
Trang LeeGiPrivate_message
It's great to find out some new passages from u. I think while we do sth together, we begin to be a partner and friends.^^ I like this!
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
I disagree.
Trúc TerukoPrivate_message
I joined many different CF communities and only in this community do I find so many posts about "help with English!". This is couchsurfing and so many Vietnamese people are taking advantages and changing the beautiful meaning of its. I feel pretty annoyed whenever I see such posts about helping with English. Some may defend "okay, you are good at English so you don't care. We need to learn. It's none of your business". But yes, I'm sure most foreigners here who are travelers would feel uncomfortable as well since I get email notifications all day. There are thousands of websites to learn English on the Internet and they can always find available talking/chatting partners and teacher. Why do they have to bombard this TRAVELING community? I find it a shame being a Vietnamese member here because I don't find such posts on many other communities I join around the world.
There are language communities on CF as well, though I find it funny to have such communities on a "lonelyplanet" website like this.
However, I agree with you Tom, it's better people stop saying "hey, let's hang out! I want to practice English" because surely they will get the chance to practice language. Instead, they should have more respect for the community, the travelers as well as themselves not showing themselves a shallow person.
I know my message sounds harsh and Tom's message is very gentle and understanding already.
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Life is about serving others.
secondary oatmillPrivate_message
Trúc, I totally agree with you. Give Couchsurfing the proper function it is here named.
Worse still, some guy always post for event of meeting locals to practice languages. It's despicable the way Couchsurfing is abused for business like coffeeshop and restaurants, and the couchsurfers in Saigon community are just procurers for Cafés or restaurants. In so doing those people don't serve anybody, they serve themselves, they are profiteers.
Trúc TerukoPrivate_message
Yes, i also saw many posts about "let's gather at this and that cafe, restaurant" to practice English. I find it ironic because for the sake of speaking language, we don't have to practically gather at such places. Being a local, I know the prices of drinking that recommended there are not cheap at all. I know many English clubs at coffee shops which offer a much cheaper price for students, and they never go to CF to post and call students to come there but they still have foreign volunteers.
I can only assume that the Viet people who come here and ask help with English are either too lazy or too bad at Google.
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Don't make fun of the helpless.
Minh Tram Do PhamPrivate_message
Yeah, Some of my new friends from CS asked me if Vietnamese people just looked for foreigners to practice English?
It's kinda shame
Candy SnifPrivate_message
Count me in!!!
Benny TrinhPrivate_message
Good ideas Tom, there are group of Saigon language Exchange @ https://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=62651
and Language Exchange @ https://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=4441

Let join.
Boorin_ngoanPrivate_message
Totally agree! Dont want to be mean but this site is definetely not an english club :)
Justin TranPrivate_message
totally agree
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Your agreement is inconclusive.
Le OanhPrivate_message
You are so great!!! I like your good ideas
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Le Oanh is blind.
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Cleaning things is like weeding.
Ngoc NguyenPrivate_message
I host 4 times
firsr I .aslo practice english.but after they go.I and ny familly miss them likge our family.they make our know more cuture we can not buy by money
Eric AsatoPrivate_message
Tom, great idea. My fraternity used to 'own a road' with a sorority and each semester we'd have a 'volunteer' event where we cleaned the road together, afterwards have a BBQ or something. Both cleaning together and after volunteer event built new friendships and developed existing ones.

We wore bright orange safety vests and had prongs and gloves to pick up trash. Needles and other dangerous objects were not picked up.

I'm down to co host an event if someone wants to help me. I'm not sure if we need permission from local government to organize an event like this. Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Eric
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
We need more English clubs and other clubs.
Anh Dao Vo LyPrivate_message
Thank you so much Tom :)
Hongha NguyenPrivate_message
I did wonder about that . You helped !!
Thu MinhPrivate_message
The post kinda long but in overall I agree with you. Thanks for post it, Tom. You must understand the culture very well and hope it will help people who want to practice their language.
Nguyen NamPrivate_message
In the next month, I will set up E club in D5 street, Binh Thanh district. If you care, you can contact me. I want to create a place who want to practise speaking E and cser can have a chance to meeting up with vietnamese people
Evy NgoPrivate_message
Totally agree!
PS: did u mean "good luck" in the last line? If it is, it's better be "chuc may man" rather than "chuc may mon". If it isnt, i'm sorry for misunderstanding :)
Eric AsatoPrivate_message
Hey,
I'm still hoping somebody steps up and acts on Tom's point of community service while practicing English. I'm willing to help, but would like a local or someone fluent in Vietnamese to help coordinate with local authorities about the possibility of a road clean up. Please send me a private message or reply to this post. If you just want to practice English, but not volunteer, there are many existing clubs:

Sozo Coffee Shop
176 Bui Vien, D.1
Notes
• Tues & Fri 6.00 - 9.00 pm (TIme / date may have changed) https://www.facebook.com/Sozovn

Drink and Talk Coffee
B1-B2, D2 Street, Binh Thanh District
(08) 6275-1004
Notes
• Check out their website & become a member: http://drinkandtalk.net/cafe/

Master’s Cup Coffee Shop
B-08 Nam Do, Phu My Hung, D.7
(08) 54170978 http://www.masterscupsaigon.com/

Hoa Huong Duong (Sunflower)
59 Nguyen Khac Nhu (near the corner of NKN and Co Bac)
01264685686 / 0918711402 (not sure if still open, please call to find out)

MM Café
130 Ba Thang Hai St. District 10
(08) 3868-1809 (call if still open)

Youth Cultural House (near Diamond Plaza)
4 Pham Ngoc Thach, D.1
Notes
• Sunday 1.00 - 6.00 pm
Completely free! http://tuoitrenews.vn/english-study/3576/english-speaking-club-review-2 (I wrote this review ;)
Tom ChristiePrivate_message
thanks for all the comments everyone! Eric, what do you mean by road clean up? What do we do? We should definitely do this! I am up for this!
ALADIN ALADINPrivate_message
@ Tom, your post is great & meaningful...

I am living in Vung Tau, if someone really want to "practice English" I would like to join the group & share "learning E experience" between member & member...

P/S: I have some very good & useful soft-wares for whom wants to study E "by her/himself"...

Warmest welcome to Vung Tau City..., friends....
Have a nice weekend ahead!
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Couch Surfing will always be abused because humans abuse everything because all humans are abusers. It is common sense.
ran anhPrivate_message
Agree!! I never hard learn enough for practice English...so be great have group improve it together!
Eric AsatoPrivate_message
Road cleanup is basically walking along a street and picking up litter. For safety, we wore bright colored 'construction vests' and had latex gloves and prongs. We worked with the local city government to 'Adopt a road' and picked up litter twice a year... in saigon, i dont think twice a year is enough ;-)

another opportunity tom suggested: we do gardening work, plant flowers, trees, plants, pull weeds, etc. If you are fluent in vietnamese and can help contact a local organization to volunteer our services, please send us a private messgae so we can start coordinating :-)
cheers,
eric
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Does that penetrate the root issues?
Eric AsatoPrivate_message
Our future event will be open to all who want to partixipate. One of the first steps is raising awareness. It starts with one. But if you are a negative nancy personality, nobody is forcing you to do anything. (Im refering to the K.M. poster)
smile :-)
Kim FreemanPrivate_message
Who is being negative?
Khang NguyenPrivate_message
Yeah..I'm in
Truc VienPrivate_message
Appreciate Tom's ideas. We disagree with language learning topics but nobody has ever had a practical action to help us improve this. Cheers!
secondary oatmillPrivate_message
Which else?

No comments:

Post a Comment