Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I say po-TAE-to, you say po-TAWWW-to about the Chinese Vietnamese New Year Tet

  • Joey Arnold Ben Robinson, when was the Great Wall of China constructed? What year and how long did it take for people to make the Wall of China?
  • Ben Robinson What we now call 'The Great Wall of China' was never called that by anyone until english speaking people heard of it. Chinese people don't call their country 'China', or themselves 'Chinese'. The Chinese people were a culture and a civilisation, not a country or a nationality, both of those are recent developments. You do not know what you are talking about. Go read a book.
    34 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Danny McPhamme Joey Arnold just a small reminder When in Rome ...mister teacher
    34 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Tuyet Huynh Joey!! if you stayed in Vietnam, let's call Tet holiday or Lunar New Year but if you stay abroad, let's call Chinese New Year! just popular like this!!
    32 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Joey Arnold Ben Robinson, you did not answer my question. I am not talking about the official name of the wall. I did not ask what people call the wall. I know that they did not speak English back then. There was no English back then. I am asking about when was the wall made.
    32 minutes ago · Edited · Like · 1
  • Phil Clarke I just watched a doco on the Great Wall of China - apparently it's not one big wall, but several individual walls which don't all connect. First wall started about 200BC. Last wall finished (except for plastering and electrical sockets) about 400 years ago, some time during Tet.
    30 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • Rob Joseph Did they call it "The Chinese New Year Offensive" or "The Tet Offensive"?
  • Ben Robinson I'm not going to teach you for free. You want a history lesson, you can pay for it. I'm sure you understand the concept, Mr. Teacher.
    27 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • Rob Joseph Just Googled it, is was called "Tet Offensive",46th Anniversary 30/31 Jan this year. ie occurred in 1968.
  • Tai Chinh Saigon Amazing! People really got time to discuss this!
  • Joey Arnold Ben Robinson, the ancestors of Chinese people were living in the same general area. When I talk about China, I am not just talking about the current new state of China. I am talking about the geographical area and about the heredity of those people. I ...See More
  • Rob Joseph but Joey, for the Chinese it would not have been Tet, it would have been whatever they called the lunar New Year festivities, which I think was mentioned above.
  • Ben Robinson When you say that China has been celebrating Tet for centuries longer than Vietnam, you are making so many stupid mistakes in one sentence the mind boggles. People pay you for tuition? Amazing.
    11 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Joey Arnold Rob Joseph, you say po-TAE-TOE, and I say po-TAW-to, but does it matter what we call it? It is a potato.
    10 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Ben Robinson are you saying that pronunciation doesn't matter? You are not really doing a very good job of marketing yourself as an English teacher.
  • Jason Rouzaire I'm getting a headache...
    7 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • Tuyet Huynh haha....we need to stop and say new year! thats all!!
  • Joey Arnold Ben Robinson, people rarely give me tuition. I barely survive in Vietnam. For most of 2013, I've only ate one meal per day. Sometimes, I do not eat any food at all. I starve at times. I rarely get money from people. Many times, I teach people English f...See More
  • Jason Rouzaire I think you've been starving your brain...
  • Ben Ngo I salute you all for this incredible journey from a "foreigner calling Tet" habit question to a political, historical, economical and now pronunciational controversional battle 
    5 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Joey Arnold Ben Robinson, there is a difference in pronunciation for the word potato, that is if I say po-TAE-to and you say po-TAWWW-to.

    Likewise, Chinese people call it the Chinese New Year because they are Chinese people. They do not want to call it the Vietnamese New Year because they are not Vietnamese. However, like the word "POTATO, po-TAE-to, and po-TAWWWW-to," it is still basically just a new year celebration based on the lunar calender.

    In Vietnam, they will call it the Vietnamese New Year (TET) because they are Vietnamese people. They would not want to call it the Chinese New Years because they hate the guts of the Chinese who took their island and stuff and poison them with chicken and stuff. But it is still the same holiday basically (and not exactly).

    In Japan, they could call it the Japanese New Year.

    In Yoshi's Island, they call it Yoshi Year.

    In Star Wars, they could call it "Happy May The Force Be With You Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment