Friday, November 1, 2013

Cycling in HCM

Does anyone here get around by bicycle? Any tips, advice, or suggestions for a newbie to cycling in Saigon?
Like · · Unfollow Post · 4 hours ago

  • 2 people like this.
  • Greg Johnstone Don't buy one!!!
  • Raymond Wiranatakusuma Sorry to sound discouraging. But I feel it is too dangerous to get ard HCMC by bicycle. Maybe you can just ride ard your neighborhood, but I do not think it is safe to cycle in main roads.
  • Nikke Ruokolainen So why is it any more dangerous than a motorbike? You probably go slower, it is easier for other road users to see you. You are lighter, so even if there is a crash you wont get "crushed" under too much weight. Bicycle is more agile than a motorbike. In many ways i find HCMC quite good for cycling, excluding the air quality. Make no mistake, HCMC is still no Amsterdam
  • Original Oatmeal I have been living and biking and teaching English in Saigon since February 2013.

    I bought a $170 USD (3.2 million VND) mountain bicycle. I do not have a bicycle.

    The other day, I peddled from Q. Tan Phu to Q. 12 to Q. 7 to Q. Tan Binh to Q. Phu Nhuan and back to Q. Tan Phu one day, which was over 50 km. I average around 30 km or more each day on my bicycle.

    I'm 28 years old. I was born and raised in the United States. I've been cycling for the past 21 years since I was 7 years old.

    Go with the flow of the traffic. Stay predictable. Slowly merge and slowly turn.

    The motor-bikes run into bicycles all of the time. People do not want to run you over.

    I can go over 20 km per hour at times. I go past bicycles and even motor-bikes at times, especially during rush hours and traffic jams. I can squeeze and do the almost impossible by surviving.

    It may be dangerous but it is also very exciting for me to say the least.

    You learn how the traffic works. The more you learn, the easier it gets to deal with it.

    Stay confident.

    The better your breaks, the better your chances of survival. People are often scared in the streets.

    Use the fear to your advantage.
  • Original Oatmeal I bike on highways even.
  • Original Oatmeal

No comments:

Post a Comment