Saturday, November 2, 2013

Pink Eye In Vietnam




I need some help, please.

I have been walking around with an irritated right eye for 8 days now. I've been to the SOS International Clinic and paid a fortune to have me told it is a virus called "Viral conjunctivitis" or "Pink eye", which, apparently, is an epidemic in Vietnam at the moment. They said that since it's a virus it can't really be treated, so I just need to be patient and wait till it goes away by itself. Well, I've been waiting and now my left eye is starting to get irritated as well, and my right hasn't gotten any better, if not worse.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Which hospital or clinic is reliable (in this field) and not too expensie? Any advise is very, very welcome!

Thanks so much!
Like · · 55 minutes ago ·

  • Tung Do I have some medication I got in the U.S. for that. Send me a msg if you want it.
  • Peter Emmerton My sister is the isos optician in Beijing, for my 12 year old son she advised: Dosage for tobramycin eye drops is 6 x day for 2 days then 4 x day 5 days.
    We were able to buy it at any local pharmacy and it did the job
  • Erik In Asia Tung, I've sent you a msg.

    Thank you, Peter! I will look into that!
  • Phuong Bui I'd advise you to go back to a different hospital. It's true that we can't cure virus but same eye disease has been kinda sorting out for Vietnamese. And though very nice people here offer you medicine, but it's eye so I won't risk it. No offense to above poster. I got 1 tiny metal speckle right in middle of my left eye, almost went blind and after that I realize how fricking important my eyes are to me!
  • Emily Braaten Pink eye is often caused by bacteria. You should be able to get antibiotic eye drops at any pharmacy.
  • Tung Do The medication I have is specific for pink eye, so if you are sure you have Pink Eye then it will help with the symptoms. Having metal in your eye is an entirely different matter.
  • Phuong Bui See, I said it's very clearly I am careful with my eye because I value it! That's why I offer my caution to the OP. Sigh, too sensitive?
  • Tung Do Erik, I replied to you already, so check your "other" folder if you don't see it.
  • Snif Petite well, i think the safe choice you still should go to see the doctor, lets check here http://www.matsaigon.com/home/Main/indexnew.php... . " Pink eye" just takes quite long time to go away and parallel you need to keep your eyes clean or protect it whenever you go outside, or use some eyesdrop to clean it everyday at least. Hope you get well soon!!!
  • Tung Do The OP said that he already went to SOS International and they said it was Pink Eye. So he doesn't need to go to another clinic to get the same diagnosis
  • Erik In Asia Thank you for your advise Phuong! I am actually waiting for a friend to take me to another hospital, but was hoping people here could help me.

    Emily, thanks! The doctor at SOS said that if it was caused by bacteria there would be puss coming out of my eye. Also, I have been using some eye drops but they didn't help.
  • Craig Page stop smoking the green or change hotels. not cleeeaaaan
  • António Aleixo yeah, I was with a conjunctivitis 3 weeks ago. started on my left eye and ended up infecting the right one too. It´s very unconvenient but nothing serious really and yes, it does go away. it took me about 7/8 days though, roughly 3/4 days for each eye to completely heal...
    and I didn´t do anything special to treat it. I just went to a pharmacy in D7 and asked for both regular eyedrops and some anthibiotics in the form of eye drops as well. used them 3 times a day and stayed home with my eyes completely closed as much as possible.
    It is in fact a very boring thing to have but nothing serious. Just be super careful to wash your hands all the time, especially after you touch your eyes, never use the same towel for both eyes and also don´t share yours with anyone else cause it´s highly contagious. Last but not least, avoid being outside and try to be in a clean atmosphere environment as much as possible.
    and that´s it wish you get better soon
  • Erik In Asia Thank you very much, Snif!
  • Peter Emmerton My sister is the optometrist, not just an optician, there is supposed to be a difference. Good luck
  • Erik In Asia Thanks António! Much apprciated!
  • Nikki Tran pham ngoc thach street has an eye hospital. They're good. I really think SOS overcharges and sucks
  • Snif Petite i can imagine hw much uncomfortable you get from this eyes issue, so anyway if anything i could help i would like to do... Get well, and enjoy soon party and say good bye with PINK EYE hhehe
  • Erik In Asia Cool, thanks Nikki!
  • Bao Tran You should go to Cao Thang Eye Hospital. It is 135b Tran Binh Trong st, district 5. It is the best eye hospital in town. Consultation fee for foreigners is 400k. Rgds.
  • Erik In Asia I've had some email contact (for free, haha) with the doctor at SOS and she was getting a bit concerned that my eye wasn't getting better. I have to admit though, I have been outside quite a lot and I'm staying in Pham Ngu Lao, so can't really say the air is clean around here...
  • Narda Holm Person May not be what is 'going around' but you ask them to check if it is bacterial as a lot of pink-eye is.
  • Le Chine tobradex or polydexa drops. you can pick up at any western pharmacy in hcmc. has antibiotic & steroids can help the redness and itching for 7 days. rarely, the infection can get worse.
  • Erik In Asia OK, will do, thanks Narda!
  • Luu Hoang Mai my little trick for this illness..always be effective ..well first u have to make hot hot tea and pour it into a cup then let ur eye near (but not too near) just enough to feel the heat from hot tea..start with the eye u feel hurt most and then move to the other ( u should do that 3-4times per day)...then u have to buy eyewater or eyewash to drip into ur eyes 3 times per day (just go to drug store and point into ur eyes and use ur body language tp describe u need eyewash if they dont understand ) .it s useful when ur eyes feel hurt at first ..i dunno which stage u re in.. so hope it still work well
  • Maciej Ryczko Le Chine is fantastic person and advice You to do what all doctors (expats and foreigner say). Don't treat eye problems by Yourselves coz it could make serious problems include blindness. My friend that problem You have is common - what I advice You is to get "good eyes care" what means: decrease lighting level (less walking out in daytime, less TV and PC, less mobile phone), try to sleep and seat as much as You can (that is surprisingly rest for eyes), cut smoking if You are smoker. SOS possibly is OK hospital for that disease. I could recommend FV opticians (good and expensive) or Vietnamese Eye Hospital at Dien Bien Phu (good and cheap). My advice is not to use medicine by Yourselves due to reason of eye inflammation could be vary (eyes are always itching and red anyway): bacterial, viral, fungus.
  • Original Oatmeal I've never had pink eye in my life, including this past year in Vietnam. I've never caught the flu either. The secret to survival is in eating all the colors and food groups of the rainbow. Our bodies are designed to fight off diseases, including the monstrous jaw-dropping cancer.
  • Original Oatmeal














No comments:

Post a Comment