Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Man With Certificate Ask Me (CertificateLESS) For Advice

Yesterday, I met a man who has a teaching certificate. I do not have a teaching certificate. Guess what he did. He asked me for advice. He is going to have an interview at a school in HCM. Do you find that strange? Wouldn't I be asking him for advice? He is the one with the "Qualification." Never mind my teaching experience during these past 10 (ten) months in Vietnam, and 10 (ten) years of related experience in related things, and just my whole life in general of 28 years. But it is always nice to make new friends.
  • Vy Le i dont see any straange here, dont be selfish
  • Original Oatmeal Schools will pick him over me. Isn't that strange?
  • Vy Le i DONT see any strange here, the matter is you are TOO selfish then you just see bad things
  • Vy Le my friend Ian Ballard, he learned Vietnamese for 2 years, and speak Vietnamese well, but he asked me sometime, i see it s normal, and no any complaint about that
  • Original Oatmeal I am talking about logic. The issue here is not about me but about them. I am addressing how schools go about their business in a more archaic fashion. In the personification of Spock, I am saying that schools can be illogical at times.
  • Original Oatmeal The point of my story is not about whether or not asking for advice is fine or not. The point is about how schools see me and the man differently. That is the point. It is always good for people to ask other people for advice. But I am pointing out the flaw in how schools rank people.
  • The Kangaroo English Club Call me illogical all you want. But as a Director of a School I will always hire the person who has gone to the trouble, and expense, of gaining the required, (by law), certification. I have personally viewed your CV and nothing in it at all endeared me to you as a possible English teacher for my organisation. However, yet again, you complain that this is somehow the school's fault for not hiring you. You need a very large mirror young man, as you are not as good, nor experienced, as you seem to think you are!
  • Original Oatmeal The man had a certificate but still went to me. He asked me how he should do his 45 minute lesson plan. I told him to tell he 4 staff members (the pretend students in the fake interview-class) what his name was and to have them say his name a few times.

    Start out casual. Start out with the easier questions first as a transitional bridge to the different chapters of the class-period.

    Ask questions like, how are you? How old are you? What is your name? Where are you from? What do you like to drink? What do you like to eat? After that, they can match food pictures with the English names for the food items found at restaurants. All of this may take around 15 to 30 minutes. You can write on the board. Have fill-in-the-blanks. Repeat after me. I have taught these things before. I had the experience. I knew what to do.

    Kids love games. You can have them stand up. Say run, and they can run in place. It is like the game Simon Said. Have them swim, dance, sing, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, sleep, jog, walk, climb, crawl, hop, jump, clap, smile, happy, sad, mad, confused, drive a car. So many fun thigns to do with kids.

    He has never worked with kids before.

    I have worked with kids all of my life.

    And I am still a kid at heart.
  • The Kangaroo English Club I hope that he didn't follow your advice. Poor guy. Eliciting one word answers from students is hardly what a Director is looking for. It would have been a massivel failed interview from me. So no, you didn't know what to do at all.
  • Original Oatmeal What was bad about my advice?
  • Original Oatmeal You are making fun of me.
  • Original Oatmeal I think you should die.
  • Original Oatmeal Do not make fun of people.
  • Original Oatmeal You are making fun of an experienced teacher.
  • Original Oatmeal I have years of experience.
  • Original Oatmeal I have more experience than you do.
  • Original Oatmeal That is what they say to me.
  • Original Oatmeal I wouldn't be Oatmeal if I weren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment