Saturday, February 8, 2014

McDonalds in Vietnam



  • RECENT POSTS
I don't know why a lot of people have been crazy about the first McDonald's outlet opened in Saigon recently as if this is a sign of civilization. The same reaction observed in Starbucks case when they first entered in Vietnam in the early 2013. No judgement here. I'm not so much interested in that stuff. I just don't get it. McDonald's, KFC, burger King and all the like are fattening the world and people seem to overestimate their values. What's wrong with people? (Or what's wrong with me?) Isn't our own food wonderful enough? I'm so proud of our cuisine with Pho, spring rolls, Com Tam,... I'm gonna go ahead and rub them right on my face. Right now.
  • 40 people like this.
  • Tai Chinh Saigon a sign of civilization? excuse me!!
  • Hao Hong Dinh Hey don't be offended. I just gave my thought. So give me what you think and your opinion. And if I used wrong word, my bad.
  • Trang T H Dương I love Banh Mi!
  • Elton Bernardson There is some fabulous food available in Vietnam but, if you're like me, sometimes you just get a craving for some unhealthy, fatty, reminds-me-of-home junk-food. 
  • Uc Bơ kinda agree. i don't hate fast foods but isn't Mc same as KFC or BurgerKing or st like that? so why ppl flatter Mc too crazy? all you got are just fat butt and cholesterol. that's what i thought.
  • Chi Üyen Nguyen geez enough about this already. You can eat whatever you want, and let others do the same. You like healthy Vietnamese food, others like fastfood.
    about an hour ago · Edited · Like · 5
  • Nhan Hong T what does it stand for? McDonald stuff. Yeah, You eat it to feel you are somebody, not a third-world citizen, yeah?
  • Phil Wyatt I agree though, I was quite happy enough to be livin in the biggest country in the world without a Macdonalds  Not any more  While I do admit to liking the occasional big mac, Vietnams food is so good I would rather eat that knowing it's doing my body good 
    58 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Huong Shahzadi Nguyen it's called ignorance. in america majority of those who purchase from McDonald belongs to well, not middle class and up and that is for a reason.
  • Neil Baker Good observation Hao Hong Dinh.
  • David Wicker Have to agree; western fast food is disgusting!
  • Jeff Ewart WTF?
    " in america majority of those who purchase from McDonald belongs to well, not middle class"
    Bullsh*t. It is middle and lower class that eats at McD. Don't talk about what you don't know.
    32 minutes ago · Like · 3
  • David Bonnardeaux Absolutely agree with you Hao! A shame that fast food seems to be the thing to aspire to... and with it fat unhealthy children... Crying shame particularly given Vietnam's amazing cuisine!
    28 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Joey Arnold I disagree. Rich people go to McDonalds as well, or they at least did, or they at least do sometimes.
  • Robbie Deric Everyone knows the fast food is unhealthy but why do the masses still fall for it? McDonald have been brainwashing the parents and kids with their Happy Meals and toys. You hear parents telling their children if you behave, I'll bring you to McDonald. The children of yesterday are parents today and they are doing the same to their kids. Their marketing strategy is basically targeting the children in some of their past commercials if you notice.
  • Damien O'Neill Joey *conversation killer* Arnold
  • Joey Arnold Fast food is not necessarily unhealthy. It depends on the ingredients. Not all fast food is unhealthy. McDonalds started introducing salads. Potatoes are healthy. Meat can be healthy. Wheat can be healthy. It is all about a well-rounded diet. Fast food gets stereotyped a little too much. Usually, fast food is unhealthy, but there are exceptions.
  • David Bonnardeaux Joey, I am not talking about 'aspire' in the sense of material wealth, but rather as if McDonalds is the nirvana of the culinary world. But actually a McDonalds meal is probably out of the reach of the majority of Vietnamese (physically and monetarily speaking) and so yes, most people frequenting the McDs in Saigon WILL be the well off. And the ones who's kids will end up fat! But like here in Africa, being fat is a status symbol. It shows you are well enough off to feed yourself and your family well.... so be it! Enjoy your processed homogenous McDs. I'll keep on eating pho and Goi Bo!
  • Matthew Martin Jamie Oliver had a few comments: (taken from Care2.com)
  • Matthew Martin There’s been a tremendous amount of controversy over McDonald’s burgers since celebrity chef Jamie Oliver demonstrated how meat scraps and sinew are spun in a centrifuge and “washed” with ammonium hydroxide, which has also become known as ”Pink Slime.“ This chemical is used in fertilizers and cleaning products. According to Oliver it is used in 70 percent of ground beef in the United States but does not require inclusion on ingredient lists because the US Department of Agriculture classifies it as a “process” not an “ingredient” even though residues of this process are left behind in the meat consumed. He says, ”Basically, we‘re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

    Recently, McDonald’s announced that “we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers.” But, there is no way to know if it is still in use at McDonald’s, other than to trust McDonald’s to do what it says.

    Read more: http://www.care2.com/.../disgusting-ingredients-in...
  • Joey Arnold McDonalds doesn't necessarily make people fat. Too often, we blame certain foods or things. The number one factor for obesity is your DNA. I burn more calories than most people because my genes are different. Some can't burn as much, and they tend to get fatter faster. 

    I use to eat tubes of ice-cream each day for almost a year strait in 2009. I did not get fat. I am fit. I am not 30 yet. I am cool. But other people may get fat from that.

    Dehydration is a factor that leads to weight increase. Eating less often leads your body into starvation mode where it tends to store more fat because it thinks it may not get more food for a while. Not chewing your food can be a factor. Not eating enough variety in your diet can be a factor.

    I sometimes feel that some Americans are healthier than some Asians because we can have more variety in our diets. Rice is good, but we some beans and other food groups. We some nuts in our diets. Make sure you get some wheat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, herbs, sunlight, water, tea, and some meat into your diet, and maybe some dairy products as well.

    I guess, for the most part, McDonalds is usually a bad idea, because there is usually a lack of quality in the ingredients, which can lead to a decline in health, but McDonalds does not make everybody fat. 

    The biggest problem is that some people eat McDonalds 3 times a day, 7 days a week, and that can be a problem, but I may go to McDonalds once a week, maybe....... I guess it all depends on a bunch of factors......

    Maybe McDonalds will have a higher quality in Vietnam than they have in other countries.
  • Joey Arnold Matthew Martin, agreed. My mother told me about the kind of meat they use for fast food, like especially for McDonalds.... similar to what is in a hot dog..... sometimes, they cut off the green parts to meat at fast food joints.....

No comments:

Post a Comment