Thursday, August 15, 2013

Going to Cambodia

Original Oatmeal Joey ArnoldPrivate_message
Van Ha, we can be friends.

Benny Trinh, the house owner does not have a license which allows people in Vietnam to host other people (including foreigners). The police fined my house owner 400,000 VND on Tuesday (13th of August 2013, which was a few days ago). I saw at least one other thread about these things on Couch Surfing before and I wanted to add to that discussion.

The police allowed the house owner to host me for 4 months from May to August 2013 but it seems that the police no longer want to allow for this, especially since it seems to be against Vietnamese laws, since it seems that you are required by law to have a license (which may cost a bunch of money) if you want people (especially people from other countries) to sleep in your house.

Plus, it may also be a law that unmarried people of the opposite sex cannot sleep in the same bed together at the same time in Vietnam, except at hostels and hotels, well unless if one of them is Vietnamese maybe.

I found a room.

I will share a room with a college student for about 700,000 VND a month.

Well, I will give my passport to the house owner today. The owner will talk to the police about me. The owner will show the police my passport. The owner may ask the police about the license thing. I do not know if the owner has a license or not. We will see what will happen.

Saturday, I go to Cambodia on a bus for 400,000 VND at 7 AM. I will get to Cambodia in the afternoon. I will hop on another bus around 3 PM and go back to HCM. I will get a new border stamp at the Vietnam/Cambodia border that will be stamped into my 10-year-long apx. 4,000,000 VND passport book which will save me money.

I got my first ever passport August 2012. My airplane (almost 20,000,000 VND for the plane ticket) landed in Hanoi, Vietnam on Thursday: the 29th of November 2012. Came to Vietnam (to work teaching English) with a 3-months multiple-entry Tourist Visa. Went to HCM on Sunday, the 10th of February 2013.

When I was extending my visa in HCM, since my visa was going to expire on Friday (the 22nd of February 2013), it cost more money because of my border stamp was of northern Vietnam while I was extending in southern Vietnam (HCM).

It will cost less money to make visas and extend visas if you make the visa or extend the visa closer to where your border stamp was stamped at.

If your border stamp says northern Vietnam, then you can save money when extending your visa if you extend your visa in northern Vietnam as well. If your border stamp says northern Vietnam, and you go to extend your visa in southern Vietnam, it will cost you more money to extend your visa on the opposite ends of Vietnam, for whatever the reasons.

To the best of my knowledge, everything I am writing is as true and as accurate as my nose is real.

Joey Arnold
The Original Oatmeal

No comments:

Post a Comment